"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength."

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Raul Cuero and Creativity

Raul Cuero is a Professor in microbiologist born in the 1940's in Colombia South America. He came from a very small home and a humble economic situation. He was able to surpass these challenges at a young age. Raul has an incredible thirst for knowledge. In his younger years he had to overcome the prejudice that is associated with an African American pursuing an education in the 50's and 60's. Raul presents a few ideas on how he was able to overcome difficulties. He explains that he believed in himself and his identity and in that he found new possibilities because of his ability to see the bigger picture. He did not have to listen to others to tell him what to do. Limits were placed on Raul but he went out of his way to do something that others did not expect him to do. In the video he points out that creativity is doing something new and unexpected. I admire Raul because of his perseverance based on his conditions. Raul could have very easily fell to the prejudice that he was around. I see the correlation of his courage to creativity. Often times I find myself scared to express my ideas or my creativity as I do not want to be judged on what I create. These are minor problems compared to what Raul overcame. I can use him as an inspiration. Later in the video Raul talks about the importance of creativity through doing. He states that the american education system and its children are following a menu. There cannot be too much structure as this does not allow one to tackle problems and struggle on their own. I believe I can use this advice to my advantage. Going out of the way to attempt new and unique problems on my own without a guide could be very constructive in developing my creativity. Professor Raul Cuero is a unique individual in his origins and the way that he has developed his life. His ideals on creativity and how to live a challenging life could be very useful if implemented correctly

No comments:

Post a Comment